SCOREBOARD for Jan. 24: Results plus Friday night’s slate of games
(G) Hickory Flat 63, Walnut 35: The Walnut Lady Wildcats scored just eight points in the first half en route to their second Div. 2-2A loss. Morgan Burroughs led Walnut with 17 points, while Shelby Wilbanks added 10. Hickory Flat, who made 21 of 23 free-throw attempts, was led by 19 points from Amber Thompson and 16 points from Brianna Reeves.
(B) Hickory Flat 45, Walnut 43: Hickory Flat’s James Baker sank two free-throws with 21 ticks remaining, and Walnut’s Devonte Bell missed a game-tying jumper on the game’s last possession. The Wildcats dropped to 1-2 in Div. 2-2A. Denzell Siddell led Walnut with 14 points. Baker, who was 8 of 8 from the charity stripe, had a game-high 22 points for Hickory Flat (7-19, 2-1).
(G) Pine Grove 65, Blue Mountain 31: The Pine Grove Lady Panthers led 23-9 after the opening frame and never looked back. Bryana Davis led four Lady Panthers in double figures with 20 points. Aana Fryar added 16 points, Anna Dixon 11, and Chloe Bailey 10 for Pine Grove. Tycorius Williams led Blue Mountain with 16 points, while Aaliyah Knox added 10.
(B) Blue Mountain 84, Pine Grove 26: The Blue Mountain Cougars held Pine Grove to only two points in the second and fourth quarters as they moved to 19-3, 6-2 in Div. 1-1A. Five Cougars scored in double digits, including Taije Berry with a game-high 20 points. Jordan Staggs added 13 points for Pine Grove. Jacob Girley had 14 points, while Ismael Ruedas, Tyler Young and Octavious Gray each scored 10 points for Blue Mountain.
(G) Falkner 52, Thrasher 46: The Falkner Lady Eagles won their third consecutive Div. 1-1A game. Brianna Williams led Falkner with 20 points. Xeneia Sorrell had a game-high 27 for Thrasher. Ambreka Peterson added 14 points and Kaylee Bridges 12 for Falkner.
(B) Thrasher 63, Falkner 52: Falkner’s Tray Woody had a game-high 17 points and Dustin McCoy and Richard Green each scored 11, but it wouldn’t be enough for the Eagles (9-10, 4-4 in Div. 1-1A). Harley Hester and Cole Lauderdale led Thrasher with 14 points apiece.
All five Tippah County schools will be in action Friday: Jumpertown at Blue Mountain, Wheeler at Falkner, Pine Grove at Biggersville, Ripley at Booneville and Bruce at Walnut.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Tippah County Fast Pitch Tournament begins today April 1, 2016
- BASEBALL: Goolsby provides spark for Tigers April 13, 2016
- REBEL ROAD TRIP: Ole Miss’ Freeze, Bjork coming to Tippah County April 14, 2016
- Former Blue Mountain deputy clerk arrested April 15, 2016
- Falkner trio compete set to compete for powerlifting titles April 16, 2016
- BASEBALL: Ripley downs Indians, takes 1-0 lead April 23, 2016
- BASEBALL: Mclemore gets 400th win as Pine Grove rolls April 23, 2016
- FASTPITCH: Walnut walks their way to a 1-0 lead April 23, 2016
- A Tip of the Hat: Article about man’s courtesy brings special reunion April 22, 2016
- PLAYOFFS: Seven Tippah County teams qualify in baseball, fastpitch April 21, 2016