Vance named MACJC Player of the Week
BOONEVILLE–Northeast Mississippi Community College sophomore guard Acie Vance of Ripley is known for being key in the clutch.
Vance’s last-moment heroics helped the Tiger basketball team secure a 78-68 win over Holmes Community College on Thursday, January 24. He sealed the win with a pair of three-pointers with less than two minutes to play to ice the 10-point victory.
With his performance against the Bulldogs, Vance was named the Mississippi Association of Community/Junior Colleges (MACJC) men’s basketball Player of the Week for the week of January 21-27.
Against the Bulldogs, Vance went for a game-high 29 points while pulling down six rebounds, swiping two steals and dishing out two assists. He went 8-of-11 from the floor against Holmes and nailed 75-percent of his shots from beyond the three-point arc (3-of-4) but it was at the charity stripe where Vance left his mark.
Vance, a former Ripley Tiger, connected on 10-for-13 from the free throw line for Northeast in the North Division victory.
While Vance was named the MACJC men’s basketball player of the week, Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s Markia Nix was selected as the women’s honoree after scoring back-to-back double-doubles for the Lady Bulldogs in a 62-53 win over Jones County (15 points, 10 rebounds) and 61-50 victory over Faulkner State, Alabama (20 points, 16 rebounds).
Both Vance and Nix could be named the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Player of the Week for the week of January 21-27.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Tippah County Fast Pitch Tournament begins today April 1, 2016
- BASEBALL: Goolsby provides spark for Tigers April 13, 2016
- REBEL ROAD TRIP: Ole Miss’ Freeze, Bjork coming to Tippah County April 14, 2016
- Former Blue Mountain deputy clerk arrested April 15, 2016
- Falkner trio compete set to compete for powerlifting titles April 16, 2016
- BASEBALL: Ripley downs Indians, takes 1-0 lead April 23, 2016
- BASEBALL: Mclemore gets 400th win as Pine Grove rolls April 23, 2016
- FASTPITCH: Walnut walks their way to a 1-0 lead April 23, 2016
- A Tip of the Hat: Article about man’s courtesy brings special reunion April 22, 2016
- PLAYOFFS: Seven Tippah County teams qualify in baseball, fastpitch April 21, 2016