Walnut man charged in shooting
By JB Clark
WALNUT – Walnut police and Tippah County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a dispute between neighbors in the Walnut Lake area around 5:45 p.m.
Tippah County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Chris McCalister said they believe shots were fired between the neighbors and John Roberts, 36, of Walnut, allegedly peppered his neighbor’s arm with bird shot but did not seriously injure him.
Roberts then barricaded himself in his house with his girlfriend and two children who are 11 and 13 years old.
“He refused to talk to us, so we didn’t know the situation,” McCalister said. Highway Patrol and SWAT were called to assist and then shortly after midnight, Roberts came out of the house and was taken into custody without further incident.
Right now he is charged with attempted aggravated assault. Roberts is in the Tippah County Jail awaiting arraignment.
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- BASEBALL: Panthers take control in Division 2-1A April 2, 2016
- REBEL ROAD TRIP: Ole Miss’ Freeze, Bjork coming to Tippah County April 14, 2016
- Former Blue Mountain deputy clerk arrested April 15, 2016
- Falkner trio compete set to compete for powerlifting titles April 16, 2016
- Free program to encourage fitness April 18, 2016
- BASEBALL: Ripley downs Indians, takes 1-0 lead April 23, 2016
- BASEBALL: Mclemore gets 400th win as Pine Grove rolls April 23, 2016
- FASTPITCH: Walnut walks their way to a 1-0 lead April 23, 2016
- A Tip of the Hat: Article about man’s courtesy brings special reunion April 22, 2016
- PLAYOFFS: Seven Tippah County teams qualify in baseball, fastpitch April 21, 2016