Ole Miss Director of Baseball Operations to visit RES today
Today, Stephen Head, a Former Ole Miss Baseball standout and current Ole Miss Director of Baseball Operations, will visit Ripley Elementary School to read to third and fourth graders and motivate them to keep the good habit of reading.
The event was set up by Ripley Assistant Principal John Horne. He said he hopes the “sports-oriented” age groups will respond well to hearing from Head who will also speak with the group and take questions.
Head, a left-handed pitcher and first baseman, who hails from Jackson, is the first three-time baseball All-American in Rebels history and was a 2005 Cleveland Indians second-round draft pick. Before spending six years in Major League Baseball, he was named the 2003 Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Year and National Freshman of the Year. Head also claimed the 2004 SEC Player of the Year and Ferris Award (Top Mississippi player).
“We’re always trying to find ways to get the community involved, and we thought the third and fourth graders would enjoy hearing from him,” said Horne. “We hope it will be a momentum builder and bump up the importance of reading.”
About Kedrick StoreyBorn and raised in Ripley. Mississippi State graduate. Southern Sentinel sports writer since Sept. 29, 2008. I also offer ground support to the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- BASEBALL: Tigers stay perfect in Division 2-4A April 8, 2016
- Falkner trio compete set to compete for powerlifting titles April 16, 2016
- Free program to encourage fitness April 18, 2016
- PLAYOFFS: Seven Tippah County teams qualify in baseball, fastpitch April 21, 2016
- A Tip of the Hat: Article about man’s courtesy brings special reunion April 22, 2016
- Armed Robbery suspect arrested in Hickory Flat May 3, 2016
- BASEBALL: Panthers take Game 1 against Hamilton, Ripley falls at Kosciusko May 2, 2016
- BASEBALL: Ripley downs Indians, takes 1-0 lead April 23, 2016
- BASEBALL: Mclemore gets 400th win as Pine Grove rolls April 23, 2016
- FASTPITCH: Walnut walks their way to a 1-0 lead April 23, 2016